Lexus Information Brought To You By Rallye Lexus
NY’S ONLY LEXUS BENCHMARK DEALER, NY LARGEST LEXUS SERVICE DEALER
FOR MORE DETAILS CALL US AT 1-877-688-0727
BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER CUP (ALG)
- Condition: The brake Master cylinder cup is a seal located inside the master cylinder that allows the piston to move back and forth in the cylinder while preventing fluid from escaping past the piston.
Lexus/Lexus dealers use brake fluid that contain polymers that act as a lubricant for certain brake system components. If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain such polymers or contain only a small part of the rubber seal (Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the Brake Master Cylinder Cup may become dry and the rubber seal may curl during movement in the piston.
If this occurs a small amount of the brake fluid will slowly leak into the brake boosters resulting in the illumination of the brake warning lamp.
- Remedy: Lexus will replace the rubber seal Brake Master Cylinder Cup with a newly designed one at no charge. Lexus is currently preparing parts for the Safety Recall Campaign; owners of the covered vehicles will be notified by first class mail beginning in early November 2010.
- Affected Vehicles: 2004-2006 RX330,2006 GS300, 2006 IS250 & 2006 IS350
FLOOR MAT ENTRAPMENT RECALL (9LG)
- Condition: In rare cases, the accelerator pedal can get stuck in the open throttle position due to its being trapped by an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat
- Remedy: Accelerated pedals are shortened to reduce the possibility of floor matt entrapment, carpet padding is modified for additional clearance, all-weather floor mats have been revised to provide additional clearance and an electronic override is installed to cut engine power when the gas and brake pedals are pressed simultaneously
- Affected Vehicles: 2007-2010 ES 350
NCONSISTENT BRAKE PEDAL FEEL DURING ABS OPERATION (ALA)
- Condition: Owners have experienced inconsistent brake feel during slow and steady application of the brakes on rough or slick surfaces when the ABS system is activated in an effort to maintain tire traction
- Remedy: Dealership technicians perform an update to the vehicle’s software to improve brake pedal feel
- Affected Vehicles: Certain 2010 HS 250h
VALVE SPRING (ALE)
- Condition: On certain GS, IS and LS vehicles there is a possibility that the engine valve spring may develop a crack and break. A broken valve spring may result in abnormal engine noise, vibration and/or power reduction. In the worst case the engine may stall or not accelerate as quickly as anticipated.
- Remedy: Lexus will replace the valve springs that provide tension to the intake and /or exhaust valves during engine operation. Which will help control the dynamic compression of the engine as well as the flow of gasses (air, fuel and exhaust) entering and exiting the engine. By September 2010 owners were notified by mail if their vehicle is involved in this campaign.
- Affected Vehicles: 2006-2008 IS350,2007-2008 GS350 and GS450h, 2008 GS460, 2007-2008 LS460 and LS460L, 2008 LS600L.
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR (BLA)
- Condition: Due to insufficient tightening of the fuel pressure sensor connected to certain engine fuel delivery pipes (those with nickel phosphorus plating), there is a possibility that, over time, the pressure sensor could loosen. If loosening occurs, fuel could leak past a gasket used in the connection between the sensor and pipe and through threaded portion of the sensor.
- Remedy: Lexus dealers will inspect affected vehicles for fuel leakage. If no leakage is found, dealers will be tightening the fuel pressure sensor to the proper torque spec. If the fuel pressure does not turn when tightening to the specified torque, dealers will be requested to replace the gasket between the fuel pressure sensor and fuel delivery pipe. If a fuel leak is confirmed, dealers will be requested to replace the gasket between the sensor and the fuel delivery pipe with a new one and to tighten the sensor to proper torque
- Affected Vehicles: 2006-2007 GS300, GS350, 2006-early 2009 IS 250, 2006-Early 2008 IS 350.
CUSTOMER ADVISORY PROGRAM FOR FLOOR MAT ENTRAPMENT (FUTURE RECALL)
- Condition: Beginning this spring, 2006- 2010 IS 250 and IS 350 will be recalled under similar parameters as the 9LG campaign for ES350’s For the time being, these models are perfectly safe to drive as long as the original equipment floor mats are properly installed
- Remedy: Excessive Accelerator Pedal Friction- Toyota Campaign
- Affected Vehicles: This recall is currently being performed on 8 Toyota models to reduce friction in the accelerator pedal assembly. NO LEXUS MODELS are involved in this campaign
ALF- 2003 -2007 LX470 –STEERING SHAFT.
- Problem: The construction of the steering shaft is such that the snap ring on the shaft may disengage when the vehicle experiences severe impact to the front wheels. If the snap ring becomes disengaged and the steering wheel is then repeatedly turned the full locked position, over time the steering shaft may become disconnected which could result in the loss of steering control.
- Details: Parts are available now.
- Remedy: A newly designed snap ring and an additional component will be installed which will prevent the separation of the steering shaft.
9LG-(92G) 2008 -2011 LX570 –POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
- Problem: The accelerator pedal needs to be modified, if the vehicle is equipped with a set of optional All weather floor mats they need to be inspected as well as the front carpet and floor.
- Details: Parts will not be available until Late March. Letter will be sent to client/owners of affected vehicles. Only floor mats designed specifically for the vehicle and which are properly secured should be installed on the driver’s side floor.
- Remedy: Remove all whether floor mats from vehicle, modify accelerator pedal once parts are available late March.
NO LOANERS FOR INSECTION OF VEHICLE and upon arrival of parts this is a WAIT SERVICE
BLB-2006-2007 GS300 AND GS350AWD-PLASTIC PAD EMBEDDED INTO THE FLOOR CARPET
- Problem: In certain AWD GS vehicles the floor carpet around the accelerator pedal if not properly installed into the floor the carpet may interfere with the operation of the accelerator pedal arm.
- Details: Parts will not be available at this time. Letter will be sent to client/owners of affected vehicles. We will modify the shape of the Plastic Pad which is embedded into the vehicles floor carpet.
- Remedy: This will take about 1 ½ hrs to repair.
NO LOANERS FOR INSECTION OF VEHICLE and upon arrival of parts this is a WAIT SERVICE
BLC (B2C) -2004-2007 RX330, RX350 AND RX400H-DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR CARPET COVER AND RETENTION CLIP
- Problem: In certain RX330, RX350 and RX400’s there is a retention clip used to secure the drivers side floor carpet cover which is located in the front of the center console, it needs to be properly installed –if not the cover may lean toward the accelerator pedal and interfere with the accelerator pedal and the pedal can become stuck.
- Details: Parts will not be available until late April. Letters will be sent to client/owners of affected vehicles. We will modify the shape of the Plastic Pad which is embedded into the vehicles floor carpet.
- Remedy: (short term) If the client notices that their drivers side floor carpet cover is leaning bring their vehicle to us for an inspection. Fix time is unknown. Inspection time for vehicle is 60 min (real time) Long term: Once parts become available we will replace the floor carpet cover and retaining clips.
NO LOANERS FOR INSECTION OF VEHICLE. WAIT SERVICE
NEW QUALITY AND SAFETY PROGRAMS
IMPROVING THE FLOW OF PRODUCT QUALITY INFORMATION:
- Toyota will expand its network of technical offices and fine-tune its information gathering capabilities. Toyota’s goal is to be able to provide on-site inspections of every reported incident of suspected product malfunction with extreme expediency
TESTING THE MEDIA’S ASSERTION THAT TOYOTA/LEXUS VEHICLES HAVE ELECTRICAL GLITCHES:
- The Electronic Throttle Control System will continue to be studied internally and by outside expert Exponent, a world class engineering firm. Toyota’s new global advisory panel may choose another testing laboratory as well.
- In an effort to reduce the possibility of unintended acceleration, Toyota will begin to produce vehicles with a system that returns the engine to idle when the accelerator and brake pedals are applied at the same time
- As reported by The Wall Street Journal-BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, and Mercedes-Benz are other automakers which have adopted a similar system on select vehicles. Honda/ Acura do not offer this technology on any of their vehicles.
THE REALITY OF AUTO RECALLS, SUDDEN ACCELERATION AND QUALITY CONTROL
CNN’S SUDDEN ACCELERATION FACT CHECK:
- “In the past, recalls have also been issued by each of the other top five manufactures; Honda, Ford, GM, and Chrysler (among many others) to correct unintended acceleration.”
CAR AND DRIVER ARTICLE ON SUDDEN ACCELERATION:
- “With the Camry’s throttle pinned while going 70 MPH, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feet- that’s a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camry’s throttle closed.”
EDMUNDS.COM INDEPENDENT ANALYSIS ON NHTSA COMPLAINTS:
- Lexus/Toyota had fewer total complaints per vehicle sold in the U.S. since 2001 than almost every other automaker. Mercedes-Benz and Porsche were the only major manufacturers to perform better.
ACCORDING TO THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
- “The Lexus sedan driven by Rhonda Smith, who testified in Congress on Tuesday about a harrowing incident of sudden acceleration, is still on the road, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In fact, the new owners of the luxury ES 350 sedan have reported 27,000 miles trouble free with the vehicle, according to the NHTSA spokeswoman. Mrs. Smith and her husband sold the vehicle after the incident, in which she thought she might die. The federal safety agency followed up with the new owners last week. The NHTSA spokeswoman said “they have had no problems with the Lexus since they bought it with less than 3,000 miles on the car…”
ALL AUTOMAKERS CONDUCT RECALLS, TOYOTA/LEXUS CONDUCT RELATIVELY FEW COMPARED AGAINST THEIR COMPETITORS. FROM THE NHTSA DATABASE:
|Automaker||Recalls Since Jan. 2000|
|Automaker||Recalls Since Jan. 2000|
Although Lexus’/ Toyota’s quality and integrity has been called into question by the media, their assertions will not obscure our accomplishments. Lexus and Toyota build some of the highest quality vehicles in the world while delivering the highest customer satisfaction of any major car manufacturer in the United States! A brief summary of our recent accolades is provided below:
INITIAL QUALITY STUDY (JD POWER, ’09)
Toyota earned first place in 10 out of 19 segments
- The GS, IS, GX, LS, LX earned first place in their segments
- Lexus has earned overall first place 12 of the 20 years we have been included in survey
- Toyota earned first place in 8 out of 19 segments
- The GX (RX took runner-up spot in the same segment), SC, ES, and LS earned first place in their segments
THE LEXUS LX TOOK THE OVERALL WIN WITH FEWER PROBLEMS REPORTED THAN ANY OTHER MODEL IN THE INDUSTRY
|Overall Quality||Overall Quality-Mechanical||Power Train Quality||Body & Interior Quality||Features & Accessories Quality|
THE LEXUS LS TOOK THE OVERALL WIN WITH FEWER PROBLEMS REPORTED THAN ANY OTHER MODEL IN THE INDUSTRY
|Overall Dependability||Power train Dependability||Body & Interior Dependability|
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY INDEX (JD POWER, 10)
- For the second consecutive year, Lexus has earned first place in overall customer satisfaction for the automotive industry
CUSTOMER GUIDE BEST BUY (’10)
- LS 460
- RX 350
- ES 350 (recommended)
Congressional Hearing Spotlights
“Nothing cost Toyota more than the loss of customer trust in our vehicles. From the perspective, we are eager as anyone else to know if there are problems in our vehicles,” – Yoshi Inaba’s statement in response to the assertion that the company benefits from “covering up” consumer complaints.
Preventing Unintended Acceleration: According to Jim Lentz; “We have done extensive testing of this system (Electronic Throttle Control) and have never found a malfunction that caused unintended acceleration.” The initial findings of independent testing have also affirmed this he said.
AKIO TOYODA’S COMMITMENT:
When a lawmaker questioned the sincerity of Toyoda’s remorse at the hearing, the president seemed stunned. Reported by the CS Monitor:
- “He had come from Japan to express his sincere remorse, he replied, and he would now have to reflect very seriously on her skepticism. ‘All the Toyota vehicle bear my name’, he had said in English in his opening statement. ‘For me, when the cars are damaged, it is as though I am as well”
- Minutes after the hearing, Japanese TV broadcast video of Toyoda addressing a room full of American dealers and employees. In thanking them for their support and calling for renewed confidence, he suddenly paused, choked up and in tears.”
TOYOTA’S IMPACT ON THE UNITED STATES ECONOMY
- Toyota’s direct investment in the United States exceeds $18 billion! Toyota’s five big manufacturing sites, over 1,500 dealerships, 500 suppliers and its corporate operations have help to create more than 200,000 jobs. It has major design, research, manufacturing operations in 10 states and almost half of the vehicles its sells in the States are built here. Toyota’s direct investment in the United States exceeds $18 billion!
- Moving Forward! Mississippi, Toyota is investing $1.3 billion to build a plant that will build Pruis and provide more than 2,000 new jobs for Toyota team workers and 2,500 supplier jobs. Even though the start of production at the assembly plant has been delayed, Toyota is still keeping its financial commitment- which includes an annual donation of $5 million for the next 10 years to fund local education programs.
Did You Know?
Out of $9.0 Billion Toyota and Lexus spend annually on research and development, more money is spent on improving vehicle safety thank any other area or any other automotive manufacturer. This also makes Toyota the largest spender in R&D in the world.